A letter from Joy:
“To Whom it may concern,
The picture attached to this text shows exactly the way I’m feeling. Call it rage call it whatever you want to call it. I reached to a stage where I had enough of this country’s sarcasm towards its inhabitants. If 99% of the population are blind, and use the traditional Lebanese sentence “ Haida Baladna Shou Badna Naamel “ Well, I’m here to talk about the remaining 1% that face a million and one thing per day and are trying to live with pride in their own country.
I live in Ashrafieh, and specifically at Mar Mkhael street. As we all know, this street has been booming for the past two years with pubs, clubs, restaurants, and so on. Therefore, when your laying down in your bed to rest you’re just partying with the rest of the crowd down there at the venues.
Three years ago, they installed something called the “Park Meter” the meter works from 9.am and until 4.pm; trying to become civilized like other countries maybe, I don’t know. But here comes the logic, they installed it underneath our homes!!!
Whether you come home at 12pm, 4pm, or even midnight its either you don’t find a spot to park because of the huge rush of pubs in the area and valet parking’s that park everywhere and I mean everywhere! Or when you wake up in the morning there’s a good morning message on your front window that says “ Good morning here’s a 10,000LL fine to brighten your day” Should I wake up everyday at 7 or 8 go down in my pajamas’ to put a paper on my car and then go back to sleep?
Tell me what do I do? If there was a possibility I could take my car with me home, trust me I wouldn’t do other wise!!! And on the other hand, if you find a spot to park there’s this shop that puts chairs outside to reserve his own spot in case someone comes in, and another and another and another….
This is enough!!!! I will do what it takes to stop it. Park meters are known to be put in business or industrial areas worldwide not in a Residential Region!!!! I have a range of 5 or 6 tickets per month! And if I had a choice I wouldn’t be posting this issue on online and yes, I want to reach the media! There isn’t any parking’s’ in the area, the buildings are old with no underground space for us to park and the streets are now taken to the ones that have the supreme power!
Oh and should I mention, the company that owns the park meters in Lebanon isn’t for the government? It’s a private company or whatever you want to call it and the government takes a percentage. If anyone reading this post finds normal actually logical, then state your opinion!
Day after day, this country is becoming more chaotic! I don’t give a damn whether we have 3G or a higher Internet speed, or whether we win the best award for the greatest nightlife in the middle east! I want to live with pride I want my voice to be heard.
I’m hoping this post will eventually; reach someone that may help us. I may be one person writing but I’m pretty sure there is a 1000 citizens suffering from the same issue. Enough is enough!
Indeed; in what logic are park meters stationed under homes who were built with no parking spaces? It doesn’t make any sense for people who live in those buildings nor their visitors. Why do righteous people have to bleed for the outlaws? And when it comes to talking to the park meter people who issue the tickets, they laugh and raise their shoulders. “Ana makhassneh” they say. Until when does Joy and the rest of the citizens who are suffering from the same insanity have to endure this? A discussion should be taken over the municipality and the company itself.
Whether should inhabitants have a card that states that they live in the area and thus their cars should be spared from parking tickets or whether these park meters should be moved to where it makes more sense, a solution needs to be implemented as soon as possible… This is simply INSANE!
Park Meter Lebanon has a website.